Friday, November 24, 2023

A couple of new poems from November







Painted Shut




Mom, please check on

the lonely man sitting on

his horse in the corner 


his saddle draped impasto 

on slavered hide-his

own pallid crispness 


wanting

waiting for the familiar 

to express his ease


words wooled blanketed 

against the sticky facts 

in favor of comfortable truths 


baser wish lists of a

warm chair, holstered,

bound and failing their


children holding their breath 







Late Anniversaries





it felt great today

to remember your birthday 

was yesterday 


I belay a happy birthday 

and order a salve 

for the transition from

you to me


so, I say with earnest 

conviction happy belated 

and fuck the hell off


because you painted this

caricature of me while

I painted your house…


that unapproachable seam

between our class fugue


so it was unexpected to realize

just yesterday I had been

snooping through our memories 

without a birthday thought for you 


then I did the dishes  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Riding the Rails with Grandpa (excerpt from a joint effort)

            Back on the highway I had pretty good luck thumbing and eventually arrived in El Paso. I took   a cheap room for the night, inte...